- Brandy Is Not Here To ‘Bow Down’; Brandy Talks New ‘Temptation’ Movie + Beyonce New SinglePosted 15848 days ago
- In Case You’ve Missed Out: The Unwritten Rules Episodes 1-9Posted 15848 days ago
- President Obama Painting Creates Controversy; Called Disrespectful & BlasphemousPosted 15848 days ago
- Fancy, oh Fancy! Happy 46th Birthday To Garcelle Beauvais!!!Posted 15848 days ago
- Spotted: Beyonce and Jayz Hang Courtside at Brooklyn Nets GamePosted 15848 days ago
Mayor Bloomberg’s Ban on Large Drinks [Discussion]
The black community has its share of people suffering from high blood pressure, diabetes, and high cholesterol and now New Yorkers are feeling Mayor Bloomberg’s hands deep in their diets now. In an attempt to fight for the health of his community, the mayor has issued a law banning large soft drinks in restaurants and food carts. The mayor’s response on the Today show with Matt Lauer was:
“we’re not banning you from getting the stuff. … It’s just if you want 32 ounces, the restaurant has to serve it in two glasses. That’s not exactly taking away your freedoms.”
Having two parents that are both diabetics, being overweight myself, and no grandparents due to health issues; I know the effects of obesity. However, where does the fight against obesity begin and the freedom that once defined America end? Where does individual responsibility come into play? Talking with a former comrade in the U.S. Army yesterday, it is apparent that many people feel the government is over stepping their boundaries. People have been flooding news websites with statistics about the health affects of soft drinks on both sides of this issue. Whether or not you agree with this decision, this law will have consequences in soda serving places near you.
What is your opinion?
Please Comment below. Email your Questions or Concerns here.