- Brandy Is Not Here To ‘Bow Down’; Brandy Talks New ‘Temptation’ Movie + Beyonce New SinglePosted 15850 days ago
- In Case You’ve Missed Out: The Unwritten Rules Episodes 1-9Posted 15850 days ago
- President Obama Painting Creates Controversy; Called Disrespectful & BlasphemousPosted 15850 days ago
- Fancy, oh Fancy! Happy 46th Birthday To Garcelle Beauvais!!!Posted 15850 days ago
- Spotted: Beyonce and Jayz Hang Courtside at Brooklyn Nets GamePosted 15850 days ago
Fan Gives Janet Jackson A Blackface Minstrel Doll
During a time when we are fighting even harder for justice and equality (AGAIN) megastar, Janet Jackson, tweeted about a certain gift that she received from a “fan” after one of her shows.
The doll, whose name is apparently Maria, resembles that of an old blackface minstrel. Blackface minstrels date back to the 1800’s where white performers would dress in what was called a “blackface”. The look featured these men (and women) covered in black greasepaint with oversized red lips and lip paint. In a complete blackface these white performers would dress in ridiculous outfits and imitate African-American slaves. These performances were nothing short of belittling, offensive, racist and degrading.
Blackface Minstrel is considered to be extremely racist and I am confused as to what kind of fan would give this to Janet and then describe it as “life like”. This is obviously a dig at the stars ethnicity and I would be extremely offended.
What do you think?